Skip to main content

Do-Over: Integration Over Regions in the Plane

How I chose which project to repeat and what needs fixed

Over the course of the semester, I've learned a lot about not only explaining math but also the logistics of printing a helpful 3D model. In many of my calculus courses, professors have stood at the chalkboard and tried to draw a 3D object, only for the students to be more confused than before the visual aid was added. When I thought about which project to do again, I tried thinking of a project where my print was difficult to visualize and only made the topic more confusing. My integration over regions in the plane project came to mind.

Originally, I picked the function \(f(x, y) = \frac{1}{3}(x^2)(2y)\) on the plane bounded by \(y = e^{x-5}\) and \(y = ln(x)+5\) from [0, 7] x [0, 7]. This function grows very quickly, which was seen on my model because I picked such a large rectangular region. The print was very tall and super skinny. It was difficult to see the rectangles of the approximation because of this.
To fix this issue, I can do one of two things: 1) I can have the rectangular region enclosed by [0, 1] x [0, 1] so that the steps between x- and y-values are not so drastic, or 2) I can pick a new function. If I make the rectangular region smaller, you will no longer be able to see the shape of the domain, below.
Therefore, I am going to pick a function that does not grow as quickly over the same domain. This way, you'll be able to compare the original function to a better function and how in this new case you can see the details I originally intended for you to see much clearer. (I wanted the domain to have a leaf-like shape for fall, which I still want to celebrate Taylor Swift's new album.)

How I implemented the improvements

I started implementing these changes by first finding a slow-growing function of two variables that wasn't too basic. I ended up choosing \(f(x,y)=\frac{10}{2x+y}\).
As you can see, this function fixes my huge growth issue over the chosen region, and we can still see the shape of the domain. It may be on the less-interesting side of things, but any fancy functions with exponentials, etc. were not great for printing. Here is the model using the rectangular approximation method and right-hand endpoints:
As you can see, the steps are not as extreme, which was my goal. I think this model does a much better job at helping students visualize a rectangular approximation, given you can actually see the rectangles this time. My print is going to be blown up to have about a 3.5 x 3.5 inch base so that you can see everything as clearly as possible.

Word count: 468

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Approximation of a Solid of Revolution

Most math teachers I've had have been able to break down Calculus into two very broad categories: derivatives and integrals. What is truly amazing, is how much you can do with these two tools. By using integration, it is possible to approximate the shape of a 2-D function that is rotated around an axis. This solid created from the rotation is known as a solid of revolution. To explain this concept, we will take a look at the region bounded by the two functions: \[ f(x) = 2^{.25x} - 1 \] and \[ g(x) = e^{.25x} - 1 \] bounded at the line y = 1. This region is meant to represent a cross section of a small bowl. While it may not perfectly represent this practical object, the approximation will be quite textured, and will provide insight into how the process works. The region bounded by the two functions can be rotated around the y-axis to create a fully solid object. This is easy enough to talk about, but what exactly does this new solid look like? Is...

Do Over: Integration for Over Regions in the Plane

Introduction Earlier in the semester, we visited the topic of integration for over region regions in the plane. This was our first experience with taking integration in the third dimension. To do this, we had to use double integrals to calculate the volume of a region between two surfaces. This topic seems relatively straightforward and anyone who has taken a higher calculus class knows of double integrals. Today, we are going to revisit this topic for a couple of reasons. Why Double Integrals Again? As mentioned before, I am revisiting this topic for a couple of reasons. One of the main reasons is due to how the 3D print turned out. Due to the function, I chose, the final rectangular prism was stand alone. When printing, this resulted in a sloppy prism that lacked structural integrity. The image below is a reference to my original design that includes the prism that had the issue. The main cause of ...

Knot Your Average Knot

Knots are an object that we come across in our everyday lives. From tying our shoes to tying a mask around the back of our head, tying and creating knots is something that we begin to become exposed to at a very early age. For our final project for the semester, we decided to go more in-depth into knots and see what information we can get out of our individual knots. To begin, I will show you my knot that I chose to use for this project, and then we will go into all of the interesting information we can pull out of it! My Knot: My knot is a knot with ten crossings, on the atlas you will find it with the name 10 38, which is the number of times you see the strand go beneath itself. Throughout this post, we will go in-depth into a couple of different things we can find out about this particular knot, this list being: finding a way to make it into the unknot, attempting a coloring of the knot, finding the writhe of the knot, and breaking this knot down in...